Expertise:Landscape Design, Firescaping, Fire & Landscape, Gardening, Drought-Resistant Landscape, Foraging, Land Management (Ecological), California Landscape, California Gardening, California-Friendly Plants, Sustainable Gardens, Soil Erosion, Topsoil Loss, Wildfire Damage (Landscape, Yard Recovery), Efficient Irrigation, Rain Water Capture, Storm Water Management, Watershed Protection
Douglas Kent is an author, activist, educator and specialist in ecological land management. He is the Principal of Douglas Kent + Associates and has been working in California’s landscapes for over 30 years. His designs and projects have been featured in publications across the nation, including Los Angeles Times, Fine Gardening, Sunset Magazine, HGTV and National Wildlife.
On behalf of public agencies, he has presented workshops and classes for several public education campaigns. His most frequent topic at workshops has been firescaping. Funded mostly by FireSafe Councils and water districts, the work has toured the state and led to appearances on KOCE (TV), CNN Comcast (TV), KSFO many times (radio), and public radio in Marin and Nevada Counties. He has also presented on “California friendly maintenance,” energy smart landscapes funded by the Southern California Gas Company, ocean friendly gardens and guilt free gardening.
The author of eight books, Kent is currently working on a book about “Ecological Land Management: An Introductory Guide to Sustainable Land Management Practices,” which is being used in two Cal Poly Pomona classes. He has also written more than 50 articles published in various newspapers and magazines including CoastKeeper Magazine, Fine Gardening, Los Angeles Times, Marin Independent Journal, Orange County Register, and the Southern Sierran.
- Firescaping: Creating fire-resistant properties, landscapes, and gardens (Wilderness Press, forthcoming August/October 2019 – revised for a national audience)
- Foraging Southern California (AdventureKeen, forthcoming December 2019)
- California Friendly: A maintenance guide for landscapers, gardeners and land managers (Muni 2017)
- Ocean Friendly Gardens: A how-to guide to help restore a healthy coast and ocean (Surfrider Foundation, 2009 – Book and national education program)
- Firescaping: Creating fire-resistant properties, landscapes, and gardens in California’s diverse environments (Wilderness Press, 2005)
- A New Era of Gardening: A guide to gardening for oxygen and a healthier atmosphere (Garden Shed Productions, 2001, of the Los Angeles Times’ best new gardening books in 2002)
- A Guide to Your Natives (Newport / Mesa School District, 1987, guide was written for the students of the school district)
- With Jeanette Marantos, “6 Things you can do to protect wildfire-scorched yards from the rains,” Los Angeles Times, Nov. 20, 2018
- “Firescaping and Wildfire Recovery: An Interview with Douglas Kent,” Fine Gardening, November 25, 2018
- “Firescaping: Plants that Help Protect Your Property from Fire,” Fine Gardening, November 25, 2018
B.A., Sociology, California State University, Long Beach
M.S., Regenerative Studies and M. Landscape Architecture, California Polytechnic University, Pomona