Prof. Polet expertise is in earthquake source processes, tsunami-genesis, and practical applications of seismology to reduce hazards from earthquakes. Her work includes the measurement and interpretation of characteristics of earthquakes that occur in subduction zones and their tsunamigenic potential. Additional research interests include the exploration of the shallow subsurface for detection of shallow faults and the development of seismic hazard and microzonation maps.
Recent Grants and Fellowships:
- With M. Denolle,, “Data Collection for Virtual Earthquakes on Cajon Pass, Southern California Earthquake Center,” University of Southern California/National Science Foundation, Feb. 2018-Jan. 2019
- “Seismic Imaging of the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Basins,” RSCA, W. K. Kellogg Foundation, Oct. 2017 – Sept. 2018
- With S. Osborn, “Source of Fluids at Dos Palmas Springs,” Bureau of Land Management, Department of the Interior, July 2016 – Sept. 2021
- “Rapid Imaging of Natural Hazards,” NASA ROSES subcontract through JPL, Sept. 2015 – 2017
- With R. Clayton, E. Cochran, & P. Davis; “Analysis of a Dense Broadband Survey Across the Los Angeles Basin,” Southern California Earthquake Center, University of Southern California/National Science Foundation, Feb. 2015-Jan. 2016
- With D. Faherty, “Geophysical investigation of fault-groundwater interaction: San Andreas Oasis site study,” Expanded Abstracts of the 88th SEG Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA, 4 pp, 2018
- With A. Tyagi, M. Grenier, R. Kreuziger, and J. Kays; “Preliminary results of the analysis of site response across the San Gabriel and San Bernardino Basins using ambient noise spectral ratio measurements,” Expanded Abstracts of the 88th SEG Annual meeting, Anaheim, CA, 4 pp, 2018
- With R. Ng, “Site Response Across The Los Angeles Basin From Ambient Noise Recorded By A High Density Array,” Paper in the Proceedings of the 11th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Los Angeles, CA, 10 pp, 2018
- With A. Grezio, A. Babeyko, M.A. Baptista, J. Behrens, A. Costa,G. Davies, E.L. Geist, S. Glimsdal, F.I. González, J. Griffin, C.B. Harbitz, S. Levi, S. Lorito, F. Løvholt, R. Omira, C. Mueller, R. Paris, R., T. Parsons, W. Power, J. Selva, M.B. Sørensen, and H.K. Thio, “Probabilistic Tsunami Hazard Analysis (PTHA): multiple sources and global applications,” Reviews of Geophysics, 1158-1198; doi: 10.1002/2017RG000579, 2017.
- With H. Kanamori, “Tsunami Earthquakes” (updated version), Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science (Robert A. Meyers, editor-in-chief, Springer Publishing, ISBN: 978-3-642-27737-5, doi: 1007/978-3-642-27737-5_567-2, 2016)
- Interviewed/quoted in articles by Nature News, Wall Street Journal, Associated Press, Scientific American, Discovery News, Smithsonian Magazine, BBC News, the Atlantic, USA Today, Newsweek and the Guardian (2017, 2018)
Ph.D., M.Sc,, Geophysics, Caltech
M.Sc., Geophysics, University of Utrecht