Expertise:Student Success, Wine Education, Wine Trends, Wine Tourism, Hospitality Leadership, Hospitality Marketing, Event Management, Hospitality Employee Management
Margie Ferree Jones is the Dean of The Collins College of Hospitality, which was ranked the No. 5 “Best Hospitality & Hotel Management School in the World” in 2023 by CEO Magazine. The school is also No. 4 for the number of minority students graduation with hospitality related degrees.
Jones is a certified sommelier and certified wine education, and has been a board member of the Society of Wine Educators (SWE) for over ten years and is currently serving board president (2022-present). She has judged several international wine competitions and was the steward for the LA Fairplex L.A. International Wine Competition from 1999 to 2019.
She is also the lead instructor and faculty coordinator for the Club Management Association of America’s (CMAA) Business Management Institute’s Leadership Principles program offered exclusively in Los Angeles.
At Cal Poly Pomona, she has taught courses in strategic leadership, hospitality management, marketing, special event management, food & beverage, beverage marketing, and hotel/resort planning & development. She is also the production coordinator for the university’s Horsehill Vineyards. In her early tenure with the college, she acted as the business manager for the college’s Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch (RKR) for over 10 years. She was named the college’s James and Carol Collins Endowed Chair in 2023.
- With Z. Mao, M. Li, W. Wei and J. Lyu, “Sleeping in a stranger’s home: A trust formation model for Airbnb,” Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management. 42. 67- 76, 2019 (10.1016/ j.jhtm.2019.11.012)
- With M.J. Lee and C. Huh, “ Investigating Quality Dimensions of Hospitality Higher Education: From Students’ Perspective,” Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education 28(2),95-106, 2-16
- With J.T. Self and M. Botieff, “Where Restaurants Fail: A Longitudinal Study of Micro Locations,” Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 18(4), 328-340, 2015 (doi:10.1080/15378020.2015.1068670)
- With N. Singh and Y. Hsiung, “Determining the Critical Success Factors of the Wine Tourism Region of Napa from a Supply Perspective,” International Journal of Tourism Research Int. J. Tourism Res., 17 (3), 261-271, 2013 (doi:10.1002/jtr.1984)
- With R.W. Small, Instructor’s guide for beverage basics: understanding & appreciating wine, beer & spirits (Wiley & Sons, 2012)
- “Margie Ferree Jones, Interim Dean of The Collins College of Hospitality Management,” Next Level Careers Interview Powered by San Manuel, July 3, 2023
B.A., Economics, Indiana University
M.P.S., Hotel Administration, Cornell University
Ph.D., Educational Studies, Claremont Graduate University
English, French (limited)